Let me update you on some current happenings at St. Thomas:
First, we welcome our new Music Director, Jessie Lim. Jessie has been working with our musicians since the first of August, but beginning September 11th, she will be taking over for Jeanne Klusewitz at the organ and piano. Jessie was born in Hong Kong, educated in London, and has worked for the Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore as a musician/choir director for several years. She has an excellent knowledge of liturgy, and plays several instruments, but her greatest love is choral conducting. Jessie will be looking for new volunteers for the choir, and I think you will like working with her.
Second, we welcome our new Intern from the Deaconate Program. Jo Leslie is a retired Physician’s Assistant who, like our own Cindy Christopher, went through two years of discernment and was admitted into the Diocese’s three-year program. In her third year, Jo must work at a church in areas such as Christian Formation and Mission and Ministry, meet with a discernment committee, and preach a number of times. She will be with us until her ordination to the Deaconate in June of 2017 and, if we’re lucky, we’ll be able to keep her longer, as a Deacon.
Third, we are working on some Christian Formation opportunities:
- EfM will still meet on Tuesday evenings beginning September 20th at 6:30pm for dinner, small group, and study. All are welcome to join. See Steve Penner for information.
- Meeting at the same time, I will be leading a Bible Study that you will hear more about later.
- On September 25th, we will have a Church Picnic to kick off a new program year.
- Beginning the following Sunday, our Coffee Hour will host The Forum, an opportunity for Christian Education for adults that will include topics such as Bible Study, Spirituality and Current Events.
- Chon and Jessica Winger are working on plans for a Youth Group!
- For our children, we are planning on offering a Children’s Chapel one Sunday a month, and are reworking “Messy Church” that is projected to begin in 2017. Our monthly Youth Sunday, in which we have young persons as readers, will include more children and youth involvement.
Fourth, our work with Blue Horizons continues. Our team includes Vestry, many parishioners, and Jill, our Parish Administrator. We are working on finding a way forward both financially and in terms of current and future ministry. During the month of September we will plan a meeting with our local Police, Fire and Social Service representatives to hear from them the needs of our neighborhood. We ask your prayers as we continue to work toward the future of St. Thomas’.
Show us your mercy, O Lord;
And grant us your salvation.
Clothe your ministers with righteousness;
Let your people sing with joy.
Give peace, O Lord, in all the world;
For only in you can we live in safety.
Lord, keep this nation unders your care;
And guide us in the way of justice and truth.
Let your way be known upon earth;
Your saving help among all nations.
Let not the needy, O Lord, be forgotten;
Nor the hope of the poor be taken away.
Create in us clean hearts, O God;
And sustain us with your Holy Spirit.
(Book of Common Prayer, Morning Prayer II Suffrages A)
The Reverend Loree Penner, Rector