Steve and I came back from our sabbatical time the last week of August. By the end I had spent time in six time zones, and traveled unknown miles from the Western United States to Nova Scotia, and on to Spain. After a relaxing cruise down the St. Lawrence river from Montreal, we spent a week at home preparing for our trip to Madrid and Torremolinos, the Ocean City of the Mediterranean. We had a great time with my niece and her mother, who is a dear friend. Our apartment faced the sea, and we watched sand artists sculpt amazing castles and dragons, and even “The Last Supper,” using people from the United Nations. We visited Seville, and Mijas, and had a great evening of Flamenco music and dance.
In July, we came home, and while Steve taught summer school, I went on retreat at the Jesuit Center in Pennsylvania. Between the retreat, wise words from long-time friends, and a church Steve and I at-tended while home, I have been spiritually refreshed and challenged to see what God will do at St. Thomas’ this year.
August was a month of travel – to Houston to see my daughter, to Tehachapi, in the Southern California mountains, to see old friends, to our home town Chico, to be there at the death of a dear friend, and to Denver, to catch up with my seminary buddies. We watched the Eclipse at the Denver Botanic Gardens, and went up to Rocky Mountain National Park. It was a wonderful end to this amazing sabbatical.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me this time to renew and refresh. I feel more able to handle the challenges of parish life, and look forward to teaching classes, preaching, and offering the Forum on spiritual practices once again.
Now it is time to look toward the future, as we prepare to begin a new program year at St. Tom’s.
These are the things that are coming up:
- We welcome back Joe Zollickoffer and his family. Joe will be doing his Field Education here for three semesters!
- A group is meeting on the September 11th to discuss the creation of a new Children’s Chapel/Sunday School Program.
- Steve and I will be leading a small group called “Something More.” Read about it inside this edition of the Good News.
- Our Forum will reconvene October 1st.
- Stay tuned to hear more about “Theology on Tap,” Bible study in a local pub on Monday evenings.
- Third Wall Productions will be back with another play in October.
- You will hear more about a fellowship opportunity for members of the church over 70.
More is in the works – keep reading!